Jenkins in the Industry…
#How is Jenkins used in the industry
Jenkins is an open-source software automation tool, which helps you to implement the DevOps culture in your work. It allows you to fetch your code or different parts of your code available on the internet generally on an SCM tool like Github, set up an environment for running those chunks, integrate the parts of code, runs, tests, packages, and finally deploys your application or any other task you want to do.
It helps you create a CI/CD pipeline. Continuous Integration — fetch, build, run, test, fix errors/add something(plan), repeat. Continuous Delivery or Deployment — release(after successful pass in test), deploy/deliver, operate, monitor, repeat.
Who Uses Jenkins? Facebook, Netflix, Udemy, 4Linux, Alcatel-Lucent, Amadeus, Atmel, Avid Basis Tecnologia da Informação S.A.,BCZ.com, Bigpoint and alot more.
Let us have a look at how Netflix uses Jenkins.
- Code is built and tested locally using Nebula.
- Changes are committed to a central git repository
- A Jenkins job executes Nebula, which builds, tests, and packages the application for deployment
- Builds are “baked” into Amazon Machine Images (AMI)
- Spinnaker pipelines are used to deploy and promote the code change.
Build → Integrate → Bake → Deploy.
As Netflix is also a prime user of Amazon’s AWS, It Runs its servers on top of AWS instances and uses images to build an environment for running the Applications.
Thanks…. Hope You liked it.